October 12, 2010

FO: Colette Crepe Dress

It’s official! I’ve finished my first sewn garment that I made 100% by myself.  I haven’t had a chance to get out and pick up the closing pieces to my raincoat but luckily I had the new Colette Crepe wrap dress pattern that required no closures or any other items that I didn’t have handy.  All that was needed was the fabric and interfacing. 

Ta-da!

Back view

This dress was rated at the beginner level which I thought was appropriate since I had technically only ever made clothing pieces with the help of friends.  The pattern came with a short instruction ‘book’ that walked me through the creation process step-by-step.  

Close up of the fabric.


I found this fun fabric at my local fabric and yarn store, Bobbin’s Nest.  When I buy clothes for myself, I tend to go for basics and solid colors, so I decided this dress should be something fun that I wouldn’t be able to pick up just anywhere.  To be a little safe still, I chose the accent ribbon in black.

The top is almost complete.  Wallace approves.


I followed the pattern exactly with one minor modification.  The pattern comes with two neckline versions.  Version 1 is the pattern I followed: a rounded neckline.  Version 2 had a more shaped neckline but was also the version that had a contrasting sash.  I decided to go with Version 1 but swap in the different colored sash.

Attaching the top to the skirt.


The pattern was extremely easy to follow.  The dress fits great and I think one of my favorite features is the pockets.  I also liked the final length, so I hemmed it as is, but I may eventually shorten it a bit. 

Tobey guards the sewing machine.


As usual, my cats decided to help continuously through the process.  Once I made it to the final steps, it wasn’t a problem, but between their naps on the fabric, or grooming on my sewing table, we had a few battles.  In the end, I think they can claim victory.

Simon conducts quality control.

5 comments:

  1. The dress looks amazing on you love! Just enough time for my Star Fleet uniform before Christmas now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fab! I've just bought the Crepe pattern so it's good to see it made up into such a lovely dress.
    handmadejane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fabric is great! And the fit on you is perfect. Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am half done cutting my fabric for this pattern. I'm encouraged to see such a lovely finished work! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to be making this again - I think in a lighter fabric just to see how it feels. I do love the stiffness of the cotton dress. I think it hangs really nice.

    The best part of the whole thing was going out and wearing something I actually made. It's such a satisfying feeling! I can't wait to make my next article of clothing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...